Total size of site: 416 hectares
Size of Australian Botanic Garden Mount Annan: 416 hectares
The Garden is home to over 2000 species of Australian native plants.
Originally a farm the land on which the Garden now stands was originally part of 3000 acres of land granted to Magistrate William Howe in 1818 which he then established into Glenlee Estate.
By 1940 the property had become a dairy farm and by 1970 had come under ownership of the Macarthur Development Board who leased the land out to become a riding school from the late 70s to early 80s. Barley crops were grown in two paddocks to feed the horses. These were in the mounting paddock near Lake Gilinganadum and where the first Garden depot was located near Narellan Road. The original dairy buildings were used as a kiosk and waiting area for the riding school.
By 1975 the land was designated as part of a Scenic Protection Zone by Macarthur Development Board.
In 1984 the NSW Government allocated 400 hectares of the land for a native botanic garden to be administered by Royal Botanic Gardens & Domain Trust - a major Bicentennial Project.
In 1988 the Garden was opened by the Duke and Duchess of York and since then the Garden has developed into a place of significant scientific research and conservation with the Australian PlantBank being opened on the land in 2013.
Garden artworks collections (sculpture)
The Garden has a number of sculptures scatted throughout the Garden ranging from permanent stone structures to more temporary art works made from recycled materials.
When the Garden first opened in 1988, there was an entry fee applied to anyone visiting the Garden and visitation averaged 98,000pa.
In 2011, the then Liberal State Government removed the entry fee and almost immediately the visitation to the Garden tripled.
As of August 2016, the Garden experienced for the first time 400,000 visitors within a 12 month period.
With the huge growth projected for the region, the increase in visitation is expected to increase as the Garden becomes the recreational green space for the region.