Observe the image below showing a landscape after fire. What do you see? What has survived and what has perished? Will the bushland regenerate or will it be unable to recover?
Imagine you are a Eucalypt living in this scene. Write a diary entry about your experiences during the bushfire. In your entry, consider the following:
- The nature of the bushfire (and the factors contributing to this)
- How you protect yourself from fire (refer to any structural and physiological adaptations)
- How you respond to fire when it is occurring (refer to any structural and physiological adaptations)
- How you respond to fire after it has left (refer to any structural and physiological adaptations)
- How your responses to fire differ to other species in the bushland (both plant and animal), and how this impacts your survival (refer to competitive advantage)
- How your greater ability to survive fire impacts other species
- Present your diary entry as a narrated stop motion video. Collect natural materials from an outdoor location and use them to visually represent a changing bush landscape or your responses to fire (e.g. showing epicormic growth)!